Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Things I love about Jo'burg: Jacarandas

We were told that they, the jacarandas, were beautiful. That they were a sight to behold. That, in all probability, we would not have ever seen anything as beautiful as a jacaranda tree in full blossom.

They told us, but when the jacaranda trees finally blossomed, we were still unprepared for how beautiful they looked.





Everytime I came across a jacaranda tree, it would take my breath away. Everytime I drove on roads lined with the jacaranda trees, I would slow down the car and shake my head in amazement and gratitude.





Every time the wind blew hard at night, I couldn't wait to drive down the avenues in the morning for I knew the flowers would carpet the roads; flowers overhead, flowers on the ground and for a few metres, I would feel as I if I was driving through a fairy wonderland.





What they didn't tell us, however, was how short the flowering season was. One day the trees were laden with flowers and in the blink of an eye, they were gone.


Just a few blossoms here and there that still cling stubbornly to some branches and  everytime I see those few blossoms, I wish the whole tree were covered once again with the flowers and I wish I had pulled out my camera sooner and clicked a few more pictures.






2 comments:

Indian Food Rocks said...

I miss the purple carpet!

Beautiful pics!

suvi said...

I can imagine how you must miss it...it's been just over a month for me and I can't wait to see it again!

Lorem Ipsum