Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Seriously Addicted


Peppadew peppers....that is my addiction these days. I can have them any time of the day, sometimes even popping a few straight from the jar.

So what are they?

Found in the Limpopo province of South Africa, these sweet piquante peppers look like a cross between bell peppers and cherry tomatoes and belong to the capsicum family.

Peppadew is the brand name under which they are marketed; the recipe for pickling the peppers is a closely guarded secret as is the distribution of the peppadew plant material. Read more about it here and here.





My favourite ways of having Peppadew Peppers (other than having them straight out of the jar):

1. Drain them and then stuff them with cream cheese. I use sweet chilli cream cheese. You could also stuff them with guacamole.

2. Forget the olives, use these peppers on your pizza.

3. Skewer them with a cube of cheddar/gouda cheese.

4. Finely chop and add them in butternut squash soup.

5. Toss them in your salads, I love to add them in my sprouted mung bean salad for that flavour burst they give.

6. Saving the best for last....eat with a piece of dark chocolate.


And now if you'll excuse me, I need to get my chocolate - peppadew fix!


No comments:

Lorem Ipsum